Kailua Kayaking Tour 2 Hrs
Swim & Kayaking Through Turtle Feeding Grounds
2 hour Tour
Great For Kids!
2-Hour Guided Kayak Excursion (+ 2 Hours Beach time):
A professionally trained kayak guide greets the customers when they arrive at Kailua Beach Adventures Pro Shop in the Kailua Beach Center.
The guide explains the tour logistics and gives paddling instruction to prepare the customers. The paddlers then walk to Kailua Beach Park where they will begin and end their kayaking tour. Customers will then launch the stable sit-on-top kayaks and head towards Popoi’a Island, a protected seabird sanctuary. As they near the island, they will likely encounter “Honu” or the Hawaiian green sea turtle as they pass through their natural feeding grounds!
Once landed on the soft, sandy beach of Popoi’a, customers grab their cameras and head for a 20-30 minute guided eco-hike around this unique bird sanctuary. If they are lucky, they may be able to see a new hatching wedge-tailed shear-water pip its egg! They may also see rock crabs, Bulwer’s Petrels, and a variety of endemic marine life in and around the hidden tide-pools. Guides unlock the secrets of the ocean and share the volcanology, ecology and history of Kailua with guests. Customers then grab a light snack of granola bars and water before heading off.
The return trip is usually quicker, with the trade winds at their back, making an easy paddle to Kailua Beach. After landing, guests walk back to the shop for a debriefing to share photos and enjoy lunch from one of three restaurants.
Guests can choose from pizza and calzones, Hawaiian plate lunches, sandwiches, or salads. Our pizza and calzones are made to order in the Beach Center at Bob’s Pizzeria. Our plate lunches are made to order at K&K BBQ where guests will find inside and outside seating. Lanikai General Store provides picnic lunch options including sandwiches and wraps, and salads are available at Aloha Salads in Kailua Town.
After lunch we supply boogie boards, snorkeling gear, and beach mats for an additional 2 hours of free time at Kailua Beach. Customers often rent bikes and head to Lanikai Beach or into Kailua Town for some shopping.
- Tour may operate on reverse schedule (e.g. Free Time/ Lunch / Kayak Tour).
- For 2:30 pm tour, make sure to come early if you want to take advantage of your free time / snorkeling / body boarding at Kailua Beach. Our shop closes at 5pm.
- Beginners (adventure minded and physically able) to experienced
- All Participants must be able to swim. No exceptions
- Minimum age 8 years
- Ages 8-16 must ride in a double kayak with a parent or guardian (one child per adult)
- Participants under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- All Kayak gear needed
- Knowledgeable, experienced tour guide
- Snorkel, mask and fins
- Large water-tight dry bag for personal belongings
- Freshly prepared picnic lunch (meat or vegetarian), tropical fruit juice or bottled water, fresh fruit, granola bar
- Transportation to and from Waikiki
What To Bring:
- Reef walkers or athletic shoes
- Beach wear
- Waterproof Camera / GoPro